January 19, 2012

Snippets

I've been wanting to stretch myself as a writer. Putting words on to paper (or generating them on a computer screen), is one of my greatest passions. So I'm pushing myself a little bit. Thinking outside the box. I'm gleaning some new inspiration, reading more and hoping to put more thought and purpose behind the words I capture and write down. I'm hoping some of that shows up here.

We haven't had much of a winter in San Antonio. It feels like spring outside yet the trees and grass are dead and I'm not "allowed" to wear some of the more colorful things in my wardrobe. I'm not a big fan of winter, but I'm finding myself missing exceptionally chilly days and reasons to drink hot chocolate.

After this weekend I will be officially done with end of year tax forms for both jobs and I couldn't be more thrilled that all of that is over.

I said goodbye to my cousin on Wednesday night a she heads to DC on Sunday. Our time together was precious and meaningful. I'm aware of how empty my couch will feel without her there on a regular basis to stop by for one of our long talks. I'm still letting that goodbye soak in and I'm curious about my lack of tears.

My "baby" sister became a licensed driver yesterday. She turns 18 this August - EIGHTEEN. Other than feeling old, I'm quite proud. I've been anticipating her movement into adulthood. Maybe since I've been a "grown-up" for quite some time now, I'm looking forward to what it could look like to have an adult relationship with my sister.

My step-sister Chelsea is currently at the hospital in labor with her second baby boy. I can hardly wait to meet him and smell his new baby smell and let my heart feel what it feels when I hold newly born babies.

A friend of mine has been in the adoption process for several months. The birth mom is having the baby today and she and her husband should take home the baby girl this weekend that they have been praying to hold in their arms for years. I've had a significant amount of tears about all of this and once again I'm curious about my heart and why it's feeling this so deeply.

As for today....I need to go to the grocery store and paint my toenails. I want to do something fun with my little boy And I will probably write and drink some more coffee and prepare a scrumptious dinner for my husband. It's a good day to be feeling, present, alive and curious.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your sister on her drivers license!

    I hope you have a good Friday (Saturday?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read an interesting challenged that Ray Bradbury used to pose to writers. It was to write one short story a week, EVERY week, for an entire year. No writer can write 52 bad stories in a row, he asserted.

    I'm not sure if fiction is your thing or if you prefer article/non-fiction writing, but some version of that challenge is probably good if you want to really push yourself as a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing and a lovely day! Just checking back in our your blog for the first time in months and glad to see you doing well :)

    ReplyDelete