September 13, 2012


When I left for work yesterday morning, I had this eerie, knowing feeling.  In no way do I believe I can see the future, but sometimes, there is this thing that settles in my spirit and I just know in my gut and in my heart that something is about to happen.

When I pulled out of my driveway and started my commute to work, I just knew that I was going to be in a car accident that morning.

Of course, I wished the thought away and thought I was nonsense for even thinking such a thing.

But on the way there, I hit some heavier-than-usual traffic.  I heard later there was a bad accident further up the highway which was why it was stop and go.  All of what happened though still feels like a blur.

I remember seeing the car behind me coming at me and I knew they wouldn't be able to stop in time.  I braced for the hit and before I knew it, my front end had hit the car in front of me.  The oddest part was I felt three more surges.  As if the woman who had hit my car from the back was also hit - I was imagining a six-car pile up.  I still don't know what it was that I felt, but thankfully, it was only the three of us.

Somehow we made it over to the shoulder of the highway from the middle lane.  I was in a panic and crying hysterically.  Of course all of my thoughts immediately ran to my unborn.  Were they okay?  Was the impact hard enough to do damage?  And my upper left arm was throbbing.

When the woman who hit me found out I was pregnant she immediately called 911 and two fire trucks and an ambulance were there in less than three minutes.  It was amazing how quickly they arrived.  I felt in a confused, blurry state of mind though.  They didn't tell me that they were taking me to the hospital to get checked out, they asked me if I wanted to go instead.  With the emotional state that I was in at that moment, I said that I didn't.

The officer at the scene wanted us to pull off the highway.  I shakily got back behind the wheel and followed him and the others to the parking lot he wanted us at in order to get our information and file the police report.  By that time, Todd had shown up.  When I saw him walking toward me, I burst into another round of tears and melted in to his arms.

He is my safe place and my rock.  I was grateful to have him, his support, his arms, his strength for me in that moment.

After information was exchanged, we surveyed the damage.  My front bumper was about to come off and wouldn't be driveable for any amount of long distance without coming off entirely.  The back end was bashed in as well.  And I was still shaking and didn't want to drive.  We left the car in the parking lot and Todd took me home while we both made phone calls - me to my doctor and him to our insurance.  We picked up Tommy from daycare on the way home because I wanted him safe with me.

I was able to get a doctor's appointment for late morning.  I wasn't going to feel at ease until I knew that our baby was okay.  After what felt like an eternity, I finally saw my doctor and explained what happened.  He was sure everything was okay, but would do an ultra-sound to give me reassurance.

The moment I saw their tiny little body wiggling around and saw the little heartbeat, I felt like I could breathe again.  We were okay.  The baby was fine.  I had a bruised arm and a beat-up car, but we were okay.

I spent the rest of the day at home.  I felt like I had run a marathon.  The shock from the hit was enough to wipe me out.

It was my first car accident ever.  Other than grazing someone's bumper years ago, I've never been in a wreck.  And I don't care to be in another one ever again!

Tommy is at work with me today - that's been the plan all week.  If I had to be an accident and get rear-ended, I am so very glad it was yesterday and not today.  I would have been double the mess had my son been with me and had been hurt.

My car is being repaired, a rental is on its way and most importantly, me and the baby are okay.  Definitely not how I planned to spend my Wednesday.  I'm so very grateful for insurance, for a husband to come to my rescue, for the health of our baby, and to only have a bruise on my arm for an injury.


  1. SOOOO glad you & that new bean are OK!!!

    its weird how our instincts are right on...

    Hope you're not too sore as the days pass.. its usually that 3rd day where you'll feel it the most.

  2. So glad that you and baby are okay, Jen! I'm also so glad that little Tommy wasn't with you that day!

    Get lots of extra rest and cuddles from Todd. Hopefully your arm will be better soon :)

  3. Oh glad you're okay...