October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

I'm not sure I've ever wished anyone a Happy Halloween.

I've never really liked it. But its' kind of growing on me.

I'm learning that perhaps Halloween doesn't have to be Satan's holiday after all.

As I've been thinking about my own childhood and how my parent's raised me, what I've found is that what I'm thankful for isn't that I wasn't allowed to "celebrate" Halloween. Because honestly, I often feel like I missed out on some fun.

But, it's that in the not celebrating it, I've become the kind of adult that is careful and thoughtful about how I want to raise my son. I guess, what I'm thankful for is my dad's perspective, because it's helped me become a better mom. If anything, my dad instilled in me the ability to pause in many situations to not only think about what I want to teach and model for my son, but how I want to live my life too. And some of those things are very much the same, and some are very different.

This, my friends, is what we call honoring our parents. Just a little Halloween lesson for today. (o:

In light of that, I can take my own upbringing and experiences, and I can choose what Halloween can look like for us. I can subtract severed body parts and horror movies and make it what I want. For us, that means costumes, candy, pumpkins, and silliness.

And today is Halloween!

We've carved our pumpkins.

A bowl of full of cavities, I mean candy, is waiting to be handed out to all of our neighbors kiddoes.

I pulled together a little costume for Tommy to dress him up as a pirate. If he doesn't end up letting me draw a beard on his face, he's just going to look like a kid in some really beat up clothes. But I made do with our non-existent costume budget and that's all that matters.

I have some delicious apples ready to be dipped in caramel as a fun Halloween treat.

And Charlie Brown's "The Great Pumpkin" is out and ready to watch tonight.

I think I just might be "celebrating" Halloween.

GASP!

So in light of the fact that I'm dressing up my son, participating in trick-or-treating by buying candy for strangers, and I've carved a real actual jack-o-lantern face into a pumpkin I guess all that's left to say is....
Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment