December 20, 2011

Thy leaves are so unchanging

When I was a little girl, the most magical part of Christmas was the tree. When it went up in our living room, something changed in our home. It's one of those things that feels hard to describe, yet I remember how it felt. I remember sitting on the couch or even on the floor staring up at the lights and all of the different ornaments on it.

I had my favorites to hang on it each year. I'm still that way as an adult with my own set of ornaments. Like the little S'more people Todd and I have collected since we've been together. The guitars, the duck dressed as a hunter and holding a shotgun, and the engagement ring given to us by Darin and Bethany for our first Christmas together. The new Belle ornament I found over the weekend is a new favorite too. Most of them mean something or say something about our little family. I love ornaments that tell a story.

Perhaps the Christmas tree is my most favorite symbol of the season. I've heard various stories about their origin and I've heard sermons where you can weave spiritual lessons into different parts of the tree. But at the end of the day, I love the tree because it's a source of memories that are carefully tucked away in my heart. The pieces of my childhood that felt good and glorious are often from Christmastime. And I see my childhood trees when I think back on those days.

This season, I've taken many pictures of trees. They are still magical and they still captivate something childlike inside of my heart.

I've never paid much attention to the lyrics to the familiar tune O Christmas tree before. I went to read them and they feel fitting to go with all of the pictures that I've taken of trees this season....

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Thy leaves are so unchanging. Not only green when summer's here, but also when 'tis cold and drear. O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Thy leaves are so unchanging.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Much pleasure thou can'st give me. How often has the Christmas tree, afforded me the greatest glee! O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Much pleasure thou can'st give me.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Thy candles shine so brightly. From base to summit, gay and bright, there's only splendor for the sight. O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! Thy candles shine so brightly.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! How richly God has decked thee! Though bidst us true and faithful be, and trust in God unchangingly. O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree! How richly God has decked thee.
For me, Christmas just wouldn't feel like Christmas without a tree.

~May you also find pleasure, glee and blessings in the unchanging leaves of your own tree that remind us of the unchanging goodness of God this season.~

No comments:

Post a Comment