March 26, 2014

Lent - Week 3


Make me to hear joy and gladness, that the bones which You have broken may rejoice.

For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart - These, O God, You will not despise. 


- Excerpts from Psalm 51


Why does God want us broken?

I don't think it's so He can fix us or make us better, or even heal us.

It's a question I'm curious about today, that over my morning coffee and the few moments I had to myself before work, disrupted my heart.  If the point of being broken is not so He can fix us - why does He want us broken?   I'm pondering my own places in my heart and story that have been shattered by the wounds of others, by my own sin, by my own ways of managing my life and trying to control everything around me.  My brokenness seems to define me.

What if I'm to remain broken?  What if He never fixes me and leaves me here?  What then of following Jesus?  What then of my brokenness?

I only want Him to fix me.  And He only wants me broken.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment